RESPECT IN FOOTBALL
We all have a responsibility to promote high standards of behaviour in the game.
Players want a referee for every match, yet thousands of match officials drop out because of the abuse and intimidation they receive on and off the pitch. Respect your referee today and you may just get one for every match this season.
Play your part and observe The FA’s Respect Code of Conduct for players at all times.
On and off the field:
• Adhere to the Laws of The Game
• Display and promote high standards of behaviour
• Promote Fair Play
• Always respect the match officials’ decisions
• Never engage in public criticism of the match officials
• Never engage in offensive, insulting or abusive language or behaviour
• Never engage in bullying, intimidation or harassment
• Speak to team-mates, the opposition and coach/manager with respect
• Remember we all make mistakes.
• Win or lose with dignity. Shake hands with the opposing team and the referee at the end of every game.
Understand that if you do not follow the Code, any/all of the following actions may be taken by your club, County FA or The FA:
• Be required to apologise to team-mates, the other team, referee or team manager
• Receive a warning from the coach
• Receive a written warning from the club committee
• Be required to attend an FA education course
• Be dropped or substituted
• Be suspended from training
• Not be selected for the team
• Be required to serve a suspension
• Be fined
• Be required to leave the club.
In addition The FA/County FA could impose a fine and/or suspension on the club.
Respect Code of Conduct